Sunday, August 30, 2015

Letterpress magic

I recently did a letterpress workshop at The Little Press. I've loved letterpress for ages and always wanted to try it out and when I saw this workshop which allowed you to print your own design, I knew it was for me!
I decided I wanted to to a poodle design but then it turned into a unicorn poodle which I liked even more! 

The photopolymer plate of my unipoodle design with some paper samples

The workshop was run by Emily and Rob from their spacious West Perth studio and was a small group of six. We split into two groups, one setting up the presses while the other mixed the inks. We used one of two hand operated presses, called Little Leo and Lilian, to print our designs.

My poodlecorn on the inked up press, Lilian

Everything has to be just right to get a perfect print which includes adjusting the amount of ink, the height of the paper, the pressure and lots of other little things. But it turned out well in the end!

Poodlecorns on a selection of papers, including a handmade one by one of the other participants.

After a yummy lunch of pumpkin soup and turkish bread, we had time for a little experimenting with the old woodblock type which Emily was lucky enough to find on a trip to India.


I had a fun day and would love to do it again and make a friend for my magical poodlecorn!

No comments:

Post a Comment